Rutiliano is the most ancient and historical documented name of a locality near Pienza, adjacent to the town, which has evidently been inhabited since prehistoric times. The name appeared for the first time in several Longobardi documents dating from 714 and 715.
About a century later, in 828, the name Rutiliano appeared in a sales contract to indicate Corsignano as a village situated on a hill, that was to be rebuilt at the beginning of 1459 onwards by Pope Pius II, calling it Pienza.
We have decided to give the name Rutiliano to our modern hotel because we think that rescuing such an ancient word which belongs to our land can only unfold some mysteries on the origins of a town or of a city’s monument. What is more, long after the foundation of Pienza, at the beginning of the 16th century, the Sienese historian Sigismondo Tizio wrote: “the Rutiliano’s road begins at Pienza’s Gate….”, where as a matter of fact is located our hotel.